First & Last Quiz – guessing closed
We did this in January with classics, so I thought I’d see how you all do with books that have been popular in the blogoshere and book clubs over the past several years.
See if you can match up the first lines and last lines from 10 famous novels. At least you can guess!! Each correct match is worth 9 points and you ‘ll get an extra point if you can tell me what novel each correct match comes from.
No cheating. No googling or looking at other commenter answers. Yes, we’re going by the honor system Your first answers will be the only ones accepted. Play every week or just one time, you are always welcome It only takes once to be eligible for a prize.
First & Last Lines
1. My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie.
E. I wish you all a long and happy life.
The Lovely Bones
2. Today I’m five.
B. Then we go out the door.
3. Momma left her red satin shoes in the middle of the road.
F. As much as I missed her and wished I could hear her laughter one more time, I believed she was out there in the big bright somewhere, watching me, cheering for me. Loving me.
Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt
4. Clare: It’s hard being left behind.
I. He is coming, and I am here.
The Time Traveler’s Wife
5. Before she became the Girl from Nowhere-the One Who Walked In, the First and Last and Only, who lived a thousand years-she was just a little girl in Iowa, named Amy.
A. Shots outside. I am going to look.
6. Lillian loved best the moment before she turned on the lights.
C. Then she turned off the light, and left the kitchen.
The School of Essential Ingredients
7. Louis and I see you nearly at the same time.
H. “Of course it was. You had it with you the entire time.”
The Weight of Silence
8. Dear Sidney, Susan Scott is a wonder.
D. By way of congratulation, she said “I hear you and that pig farmer are going to regularize your connection. Praise the Lord!”
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society
9. Here is the truth, this is what I know: we were walking on Ocean Beach, hand in hand.
J. Water gushes around me, the board shakes, I cannot see, but somehow I know I am moving forward.
The Year of Fog
10. They found Mary’s body in Round Pond.
G. Out of our movement, a crow lifted off a high pine and the glint of the sun, for an instant, resembled a flash of diamond in its beak.
The Eternal on the Water