Soldier Quiz – guessing closed
Yesterday, we celebrated Memorial Day here in the US, a day to honor our fallen soldiers and the sacrifices they made. This week’s quiz is all about our servicemen & women in literature and movies. Each correct answer is worth 10 points. You have until Friday to submit your answers.
No cheating. No googling or looking at other commenter answers. Yes, we’re going by the honor system Your first answers will be the only ones accepted. Play every week or just one time, you are always welcome It only takes once to be eligible for a prize.
I’m looking for the titles only.
1. This 2009 Oscar winner is the only one on this list about an ongoing war. The Hurt Locker
4. Tom Hanks leads a team to find the last surviving brother (of four) serving during WWII. This 1998 film makes me cry every time. Saving Private Ryan
5. This 1946 Oscar winner is the movie that has stuck with me as the best depiction of what happened to soldiers when they came back home from war, in this case WWII. The Best Years of Our Lives
6. This is a 1989 movie about the Civil War’s first all-black volunteer company, featuring Morgan Freeman and Denzel Washington. Glory
Books and Movies
7. Clint Eastwood directed two movies about WWII, one from the perspective of the American attackers and one from the perspective of the Japanese soldiers, based on the book written by James Bradley and Ron Powers. Each one is worth 5 points. Flags of Our Father & Letters from Iwo Jima
8. This Stephen Ambrose classic was made into a very successful HBO mini-series about WWII. Band of Brothers
9. This dark comedy about a WWII bomber helped coin a new English phrase to define a no-win situation. Made into a 1970 film. Catch-22
10. This novel by Erich Maria Remarque is about a German soldier in WWI and is the only one on the list focused on a non-American soldier, but was made into one of my favorite war movies. A 1930 Oscar winner. All Quiet on the Western Front