First Lines Quiz
Here’s how to play…Identify the first lines of these famous novels by telling me what book it’s from. Leave a comment with the # of the first line and the title of the book and I’ll cross it off the list. No Googling, that’s cheating and no fun! Last chance to earn entries in the giveaway.
HINT: These books are all on my Top 100 list.
1. “It wasn’t a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.” Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, LuAnn
2. “I was stunned by Mary Karr’s memoir, The Liars’ Club.” On Writing by Stephen King
3. “The small boys came early to the hanging.” The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, Jane
4. “The last class of my old professor’s life took place once a week in his house, by a window in the study where he could watch a small hibiscus plant shed its pink leaves.” Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom, Nicole
5. “A green hunting cap squeezed the top of the fleshy balloon of a head.” A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
6. A mile above Oz, the Witch balanced on the wind’s forward edge, as if she were a green fleck of the land itself, flung up and sent wheeling away by the turbulent air.” Wicked by Gregory Maguire, Kathy
7. My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie.” The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, the word jar
8. You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don’t” Lamb by Christopher Moore, Donna S
9. Howard Roark laughed.” The Fountainhead by Ayne Rand, Tonya
10. The naked child ran out of the hide-covered lean-to toward the rocky beach at the bend in the small river.” Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel