Thanks for participating! 10 out 15 is not too bad!
The Oscars are next Sunday. I looked through the list of past Best Picture winners and chose my favorite 15. Let’s see if you can guess them by the quotes from the movies I chose.
Here’s how to play…Identify these Best Picture Oscar winning movies and leave a comment with the # and movie, and I’ll cross it off the list. No Googling, that’s cheating and no fun! To help you out these are in chronological order (the first one winning an Oscar in the 1930′ s and the last one winning in the 2000′s)
1. “What she needs is a guy that’d take a sock at her once a day, whether it’s coming to her or not. If you had half the brains you’re supposed to have, you’d have done it yourself long ago.” It Happened One Night (1934 winner)
2. “Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.” Casablanca (1943 winner), Mark
3. “You gotta hand it to the Navy; they sure trained that kid how to use those hooks.”
“They couldn’t train him to put his arms around his girl, or to stroke her hair.” The Best Years of Our Lives (1946 winner), Hockee
4. “You’re maudlin and full of self-pity. You’re magnificent!” All About Eve (1950 winner)
5. “A word to you about escape. There is no barbed. No stockade. No watchtower. They are not necessary. We are an island in the jungle. Escape is impossible. You would die.” The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957 winner)
6. “The mirror…it’s broken.”
“Yes I know. I like it that way. Makes me look the way I feel.” The Apartment (1960 winner)
7. “The best of them won’t come for money; they’ll come for me.” Lawrence of Arabia (1962 winner)
8. “Where the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window.” The Sound of Music (1965 winner), Kathy
9. “Leave the gun. Take the canolies.” The Godfather (1972 winner), Don
10. “I think we make a real sharp couple of coconuts- I’m dumb, you’re shy, whaddaya think, huh?” Rocky (1976 winner), Hockee
11. “Bob, I gotta bad feeling on this one all right? I mean I gotta bad feeling! I don’t think I”m gonna make it outta here! D’ya understand what I’m sayin’ to you?
“Everybody gotta die some time, Red.” Platoon (1986 winner), Hockee
12. “I’m an excellent driver.” Rain Man (1988 winner), Hockee
13. “I do wish we could chat longer, but I’m having an old friend for dinner.” The Silence of the Lanbs (1991 winner), Mark
14. “But we have the white wizard. That’s got to count for something.” Lord of the Rings:Return of the King (2003 winner), Tonya
15. “It’s the sense of touch. In any real city, you walk, you know? You brush past each other, people bump into you. In L.A. nobody touches you. We’re always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so that we can feel something.” Crash (2005 winner), Jason